Reflections on the Course
Lectures
The lectures for this course seemed to be a bit more relaxed
than and not as intense as the previous course; however, they were very
informative. The advice Dr. Arterbury
and Dr. Jenkins gave concerning principal inquiry processes was truly inspirational
and beneficial. They provided that voice
of confidence that was needed to complete the task. Their insight to the research process was an
added help when addressing concerns and problems with my project. The videos also give the course some
personality rather than just words on a page.
Readings
The readings introduced me to administrative inquiry and its
process in through a comprehensible text.
Dana (2009) clearly explains the steps, 1) pose a question, 2) collect data,
3) analyze data/read literature pertaining to the topic, 4) make changes, and
5) share findings. On the other hand,
Harris (2010) gives an eight step process that provides more detail and
includes more reflection at the end of the process. The texts also provided detailed examples of
inquiry that allowed me to obtain a clear understanding of what areas can be researched. Finally, both of the texts served as easily
accessible resources for developing my plan and assessing it as well.
Searches, like electronic searches of topics and questions
The searches were useful in the fact that they gave me ideas on
what to research; however, most of the inquiry should be based on local issues
within the campus or district. The
searches are great for gaining insight as to what can be researched and also
can be used to see what other districts, comparable to our district’s
socio-economic breakdown, are researching.
Assignments and activities
The assignments were closely aligned to the expectations and goals
of the course. I, more than likely,
would not have taken the time to look more closely at my inquiry project had
the course not provided questions and opportunities to do so. Posting the CARE Model as it relates to my research
plan was truly effective as well. The
four steps in assessing the project covered most areas that I had overlooked or
had not even considered, so taking my project through that model help me feel
more comfortable with my project and the expectations of concerns,
affirmations, recommendations, and evaluation of the inquiry plan.
Discussion Board
The discussion boards are a terrific tool for bouncing ideas off
of each other and communicating with classmates about their projects. Looking at someone else’s inquiry gave me
another perspective on my own inquiry.
The feedback I received over my postings was direct and informative as
well. Ideas for enhancing my inquiry
were detailed and clearly explained not to mention very helpful.
Blogs
The blogs also were helpful; however, I still am not too
comfortable with using mine. I feel I am
not effective in communicating through my blog, but it will take some getting
used to. Gaining the experience of using
a blog has helped in the fact that I am more comfortable now even though I am
not totally comfortable. I do not feel
that the feedback on the blogs was as effective as the feedback on the
discussion board. I am not sure if it is
because of the accessibility or the comfort level, but the only one to comment
on my blog was Dr. Mason. I also saw
people begging on the discussion board for people to comment on their
blogs.
I agree with you about the blogs. It's great to get feedback about your assignments but like you I am not very comfortable sitting down and sharing my thoughts in general. I can always write a blog posting on an assignment, but coming up with something to write about on my own I struggle with.
ReplyDelete