Sunday, April 15, 2012

Action Research so far.....

After reading the Dana text on action research, I realized that practitioner research/classroom research is what our assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction had been asking us to do for the past few years by providing questions, benchmark data, and other research tools.  Once he explained the purpose and process, it made so much sense—why should we seek help for our students from outsiders when we have the capabilities right here in our district.? He gave us PLCs to encourage more questioning and to provide time for research and reflection.  Now that I am pursuing a master’s in leadership, I have a different point of view on action research and through the first week of this course, I have a new perspective for the role of an administrator in this process—one who models this behavior for its success.  Educational leaders cannot place themselves up on a pedestal away from the expectations of the faculty and staff.  They must roll up their sleeves and provide examples of what they are asking their followers to do, and action research is one of those areas that must be modeled.  Just as a team reflects the actions of its coach, so a faculty reflects the actions of its administration. 

1 comment:

  1. Alana,
    Blogging can be a effective tool for collaboration, interaction, and reflection. Students and adults are regularly using blogs to comment on a variety of topics as well as for learning. I'm glad to hear you feel there is value in using the tools.
    Dr. Mason

    ReplyDelete